Diocese: Diocese of Syracuse
Summary of Assignments:
- 1966-1967: St. Mary, Binghamton
- 1973: St. Louis, Oswego
- 1974: St. John the Evangelist, Oswego
- 1974-1978: Oswego Catholic High School/Bishop Cunningham Catholic High School, Oswego (renamed 1976)
- 1978-1984: St. Anne, Parish
- 1985-1988: St. John the Baptist, Syracuse
- 1989-1991: Holy Family, Fulton
- 1992-2002: Chaplain at Community General Hospital, Syracuse
- 1993-2003: St. Michael, Onondaga Hill
- 1998-2002: Our Lady of Good Counsel, Warners
Notes: Removed from his assignment in 6/02 after allegations resurfaced about “inappropriate behavior” years ago. Incident was first reported in 1990 and Hayes went to St. Luke’s. He had been serving as hospital chaplain since 1991. Per 6/03 article, Hayes had been permanently removed from ministry.
Sources: http://www.bishop-accountability.org/; Post-Standard 6.6.02; Post-Standard (NY) 06.18.03; https://www.childsexabuse.org/accused/james-c-hayes/; Watertown Daily Times 03.14.18
Note: Years listed indicate editions of the Official Catholic Directory. Because of the publication schedule of the Directory, a priest listed at a parish in a given year was also likely at that parish for part of the previous year.