Diocese: Diocese of Syracuse
Summary of Assignments:
- 1942-1949: Our Lady of Pompeii, Syracuse
- 1950-1991: St. Joseph, Oswego
- 1993-1996: St. Louis, Oswego
- Unknown: Sacred Heart, Cicero
- Also a member of the Oswego City School District Board of Education for 21 years and a member of the SUNY Oswego College Council for two terms
Notes: Dates of alleged abuse range from 1949 to 1987. In 1998 Furfaro admitted abusing one man whom he counseled after death of man’s sister. This matter was settled for about $75,000 in 1999. Seven men & boys filed suit 4/03. Furfaro retired in 1991. He was permanently removed from active ministry 6/03. No criminal prosecution due to SOL. Died 3/29/10 at age 93.
Sources: http://www.bishop-accountability.org/; Post Standard 1.8.04; Post Standard 4.1.10; Post Standard 5.7.02; Post Standard 5.9.02; Post Standard 6.4.91; Post Standard 8.5.02; Post Standard 04.14.02; Post Standard 05.16.02; Post Standard 09.29.02; Post Standard 04.18.03; Post Standard 06.18.03; Post Standard 08.22.03; Post Standard 10.31.03; Oneida Daily Dispatch 03.31.10; Watertown Daily Times 03.14.18
Note: Years listed indicate editions of the Official Catholic Directory. Because of the publication schedule of the Directory, a priest listed at a parish in a given year was also likely at that parish for part of the previous year.