Diocese: Diocese of Rockville Centre, Diocese of Kalamazoo
Summary of Assignments:
- Ordained; 3/18/78
- 1978-1980: St. Joseph’s; Kings Park, NY
- 1980-1982: St. Gertrude’s; Bayville, NY
- 1982-1988: St. James; Seaford, NY
- 1988-1993: St. Aidan’s; Williston Park, NY
- June 1993: Medical leave
- 1993-1994: St. Frances de Chantal; Wantagh, NY (appointed, but might have been sent for evaluation before he started the job; not in Directory)
- 1994-1995: Epiphany Cathedral; Venice, FL (in media coverage but not in Directory)
- 1995-2002: St. Mary of the Lake; New Buffalo, MI (in media coverage but not in Directory)
Notes: Confessed publicly in 1998 to “a sexual relationship” with 16 yr old youth in New York in 1978. Boy’s mom had confronted him in 1978. She told Aux. Bishop G. Ryan in 1984 and he promised intervention. Mom learned DeVita was still active in 1993 and went to diocese again. Diocese paid a $50,000 settlement to the victim in 1993. DeVita sent for therapy. Worked in Venice Florida and later became part of Kalamazoo Diocese. Was working there in 2002 when he was removed from duty.
Sources: Newsday 08.29.98; Sun Sentinel 04.20.02; Palm Beach Post 04.21.02; Newsday 04.23.02; Sun-Sentinel 04.24.02; South Bend Tribune 04.30.02; Dallas Morning News 06.12.02; Grand Rapid Press 06.20.02; Detroit News 07.28.02; New York Times 08.01.02; Detroit Free Press 04.14.03; http://bishop-accountability.org/; BA.org Assignment Record and Other Info
Note: Years listed indicate editions of the Official Catholic Directory. Because of the publication schedule of the Directory, a priest listed at a parish in a given year was also likely at that parish for part of the previous year.