Diocese: Diocese of Rockville Centre
Summary of Assignments:
- 1966-1971: St. Hugh’s, Huntington Station, NY
- 1972: Not listed in the Directory
- 1972-1973: St. Peter the Apostle, Islip Terrace, NY
- 1973-1978: St. Thomas the Apostle, West Hempstead, NY
- 1980: Defrocked
- Not indexed in the Directory until the 1975 volume, but listed in the diocesan pages.
Notes: Two sisters say Unterstein abused them for several years when they were teenagers. One of them filed a suit which settled in 2000. Unterstein is priest “J” in the 2003 Grand Jury Report. Per articles, he was “defrocked for unknown reasons in 1980.”
Sources: Suffolk Co. Grand Jury Report; NY Post 06.20.02; Newsday 07.02.02; Newsday 02.10.03; Newsday 02.12.03; http://bishop-accountability.org/; BA.org Assignment Record and Other Info
Note: Years listed indicate editions of the Official Catholic Directory. Because of the publication schedule of the Directory, a priest listed at a parish in a given year was also likely at that parish for part of the previous year.