Diocese: Diocese of Rockville Centre
Summary of Assignments:
- 6/3/1961: Ordained
- 1961: Camp Molloy, NY; Chaplain
- 1961-1962: St. Lawrence’s; Sayville, NY
- 1962-1963: Our Lady of Lourdes; Massapequa Park, NY
- 1963-1968: Pius X Prep Seminary; Uniondale, NY; Faculty
- 1968-1970: St. Anthony’s; Rocky Point, NY
- 1970-1971: St. John the Evangelist; Center Moriches, NY
- 1971-1980: St. Francis de Sales; Patchogue, NY
- 1980-1987: St. John’s; Riverhead, NY; Pastor
- 1987-1992: Most Holy Trinity; East Hampton, NY
- 1/19/1992: Deceased
Notes: Accused of abuse of at least two individuals. Died 1992. 1 claim settled for $25K in fall, 1993. Weeks later, plaintiff was dead of heroin overdose. Parents furious that Alan Placa (for diocese) agreed to cash settlement with person who was an active addict. Suffolk County Grand Jury’s description of Priest E matches a public allegation against Bergin. Named in 2003 civil suit.
Note: Years listed indicate editions of the Official Catholic Directory. Because of the publication schedule of the Directory, a priest listed at a parish in a given year was also likely at that parish for part of the previous year.