Diocese: Diocese of Rockville Centre, Diocese of Brooklyn
Summary of Assignments:
- 1948-1954: Our Lady of Grace; Howard Beach, NY
- 1954-1956: Blessed Sacrament; Jackson Heights, NY
- 1956-1957: Villa Maria convent for Dominican sisters; Water Mill, NY; Chaplain
- 1957-1958: St. Philip Neri; Northport, NY
- 1958-1960: Mary Immaculate; Bellport, NY
- 1960-1970: Our Lady of Peace; Lynnbrook, NY
- 1970-1978: On duty outside the diocese
- 1970-1971: Corpus Christi; Miami, FL
- 1971-1974: Little Flower; Coral Gables, FL
- 1974-1976: St. Francis de Sales; Miami Beach, FL
- 1976-1978: Holy Family; North Miami, FL
- 12/12/1978: Deceased
Notes: Accused in 1/9/06 complaint of sexually abusing a boy and girl and three of their siblings from the early 1950s through 1968, when their father confronted Babis. The abuse, which allegedly included fondling and photographing his naked victims, occurred in the children’s home while their father was ill, in church buildings including a home for retired nuns, and on overnight trips. Babis was transferred to Florida in 1970. He died there in 12/12/78. Since the suit was filed, fat least four others reportedly have alleged abuse during the 1960s at Babis’ last NY parish: two brothers and a sister in one family and a girl fondled at age nine in the rectory.
Note: Years listed indicate editions of the Official Catholic Directory. Because of the publication schedule of the Directory, a priest listed at a parish in a given year was also likely at that parish for part of the previous year.