Diocese: Diocese of Rockville Centre, Diocese of Charleston
Summary of Assignments:
- 1978: Ordained
- 1978-1979: St. John Cathedral, Fresno, CA
- 1979-1981: Christ the King, Commack, NY
- 1981-1983: St. Mary’s, East Islip, NY
- 1984-1994: Military chaplain
- 1994-1997: St. Mary’s, Yonges Island, SC
- 1997-1999: St. Anthony’s All Souls’ Memorial Church, Florence, SC
- 1999-2002: St. Patrick’s, Charleston, SC
- 1999-2001: Our Lady of Mercy, Charleston, SC
- 2002-?: Jesus Our Risen Savior, Spartanburg, SC
- Unknown: St. Frederick’s, Edisto Island, SC (listed in media coverage; not in Directory); St. Stephen’s, Edisto Island, SC (listed in media coverage; not in Directory)
Notes: Accused in 4/14/03 suit of groping and sodomizing a boy 1980-83, starting at age 15, in the Rockville Centre NY diocese. Some abuse in confessional. Excardinated to Fresno CA diocese and was a Navy chaplain 1983-94. Then excardinated to Charleston SC diocese; worked as pastor; also in Navy reserves. Charleston says it learned of allegation in 6/02; deemed it credible; put Congro on administrative leave in Fall 2002. Bishop Robert Baker wrote letter to priests in 4/03 after suit was filed.
Note: Years listed indicate editions of the Official Catholic Directory. Because of the publication schedule of the Directory, a priest listed at a parish in a given year was also likely at that parish for part of the previous year.