Diocese: Diocese of Rockville Centre
Summary of Assignments:
- 5/30/1970: Ordained
- 1970-1974: St. Patrick’s, Glen Cove, NY
- 1974-1978: St. Pius X Preparatory Seminary – Faculty and Dean of Students; Uniondale, NY
- 1978-1986: Catholic Charities – Director of R&D
- 1978-?: Hofstra University School of Law
- 1986-?: Legal Consultant to Diocese
- 1988-2002: Vice-Chancellor
- 1991-1998: SS. Cyril & Methodius – Residence; Deer Park, NY
- 1991/1992: Placa was named monsignor in 1991 or early 1992
- 1999-2007: St. Aloysius, Great Neck, NY
Notes: Placa, an attorney and former vice chancellor of Rockville Centre Diocese, was for years the diocese’s chief contact with victims. Resigned 2002 after police investigated allegations. Identified as Priest F in 2002 report of Grand Jury investigation of Rockville Diocese. As of 2007 he remained close friends with Rudy Giuliani and worked at Giuliani’s firm. Fully restored to active (retired) status 12/09 after review by Rome found him to be not guilty of the allegation of sexual abuse of a minor.
Sources: Newsday 04.17.02; NY Times 04.19.02; Newsday 05.14.02; Newsday 06.03.02; Newsday 06.07.02; Newsday 06.14.02; Suffolk Co Grand Jury Report 01.17.03; NY Times 02.01.03; Newsday 02.11.03; Telegram & Gazette 02.17.03; NY Times 02.20.03; Compasso et al v Volmer et al, 04.14.03; Newsday 04.15.03; NY Times 12.04.03; Worcester Telegram & Gazette 07.22.07; http://bishop-accountability.org/; ABC News 10.23.07 (add’l article); EDGE Boston 10.24.07 (add’l article); Albany Times Union 11.07.07 (add’l article); Inside Catholic 11.26.07 (add’l article); Statement by Diocese of Rockville Centre 12.4.09 (add’l article); BA.org Assignment Record and Other Info
Note: Years listed indicate editions of the Official Catholic Directory. Because of the publication schedule of the Directory, a priest listed at a parish in a given year was also likely at that parish for part of the previous year.