Diocese: Archdiocese of New York
Summary of Assignments:
- 1972-1983: St. Joseph of the Holy Family; New York City, NY
- 1977-1989: Vice-Rector at Cathedral Preparatory Seminary High School and College; Harlem, NY
- 1989-2008: Spiritual Advisor at Society of St. Vincent de Paul, District Council of Manhattan; Manhattan, NY
- 1990-2008: St. Charles Borromeo; Harlem, NY
- Named Monsignor in 1990
- 1995-2005: Chairman at Archdiocesan Priests Council; New York City, NY
- 2002-2004: Administrator at St. Peter’s; New York City, NY
- 2003-2008: Administrator at Church of the Resurrection; Harlem, NY
- 2006-2010: Archdiocesan Consulters; New York City, NY
Notes: In August 2008, Harris was placed on leave from Saint Charles Borromeo Parish after allegations surfaced of his sexual abuse of a minor in late 1980s. A second allegation was reported to the District Attorney’s office, as it conducted its initial investigation. By September 20, 2008, eight more accusers had come forward. No criminal charges were filed due to the statute of limitations. Harris has denied all allegations. In September 2010, he resigned from his parish and he was permanently removed from active priesthood. In January 2012, Harris was sentenced to a life of prayer & penance by the Vatican.
Sources: Daily News 8.4.08; Daily News 8.4.08; Daily News 8.5.08; eFluxMedia 8.5.08; NY Post 8.4.08; NY Post 8.5.08; NY Times 8.5.08; NY Times 8.9.08; Statement by Archdiocese of New York 8.3.08; WABC 8.4.08; WCBStv.com 8.3.08; Edge 08.12.08; NY Times 08.14.08; Daily News 08.15.08; NY Times 09.20.08; http://bishop-accountability.org/
Note: Years listed indicate editions of the Official Catholic Directory. Because of the publication schedule of the Directory, a priest listed at a parish in a given year was also likely at that parish for part of the previous year.