Diocese: Archdiocese of New York
Summary of Assignments:
- 1947-1951: St. Mary’s; Saugerties, NY
- 1951-1955: St. Angela Merici; Bronx, NY
- 1955-1970: Annunciation; Crestwood, NY
- 1970-1974: St. Joseph’s; Middletown, NY
- 1974-1989: Immaculate Conception; Bangall, NY
- 1974-1989: St. Joseph’s; Clinton Corners, NY
- This was a mission of Immaculate Conception in Bangall
- 1989-1993: St. Peter’s; Kingston, NY
- 1994-1995: Not listed in the Index or New York pages of the Directory
- May 20,1995: Died
Notes: In June 2016, a 78-yr-old woman publicly accused Hyland of sexually abusing her from the ages of 11 to 16 years old. The woman, who went on to become a sister of St. Francis, said Hyland stepped in to help her family after one of her sisters was struck by a car and died. Hyland took her and two other sisters to plays, the circus, and other events. At 40 years old, the woman reported Hyland’s abuse to the Archdiocese of New York. The two priests who interviewed her about the allegations asked her what she did “to activate his interest” in her. Hyland died on May 20, 1995.
Sources: The Kingston Daily Freeman 02.28.47; The Journal News 11.13.05; New York Daily News 06.03.16; Findagrave accessed 06.06.16; http://bishop-accountability.org/; BA.org Assignment Record
Note: Years listed indicate editions of the Official Catholic Directory. Because of the publication schedule of the Directory, a priest listed at a parish in a given year was also likely at that parish for part of the previous year.