Diocese: Archdiocese of New York, Archdiocese of Agaña, Diocese of Honolulu
Religious Order: Capuchin Fransiscans
Summary of Assignments:
- 1944: Joined the Capuchins
- September 6, 1952: Ordained
- 1952-1969: St. Mary’s Seminary, Mary Immaculate Friary; Garrison-on-Hudson, NY
- 1970: Not listed in the 1971 Directory
- 1970-1971: Capuchin Fathers Residence; Hawthorne, NY
- 1971-1973: Capuchin Fathers Provincialate, St. Conrad Friary; White Plans, NY
- 1973-1978: St. Mary Friary; Garrison (Glenclyffe,) NY
- 1978-1979: St. John’s Hospital and Hudson View Nursing Home; Yonkers, NY
- 1979-1980: Our Lady of Mount Carmel; Agat, Guam
- 1979-1980: St. Anne’s; San Isidro, Guam
- 1980-1988: San Juan Bautista; Ordot, Guam
- 1988-1991: Our Lady of Perpetual Help; Ewa Beach, HI
- 1991-1992: Holy Rosary; Pahala, HI
- 1992-1994: Our Lady of Mount Carmel; Waikane, HI
- 1996-2001: Retired
- 2001-2007: Our Lady of Mount Carmel; Agat, Guam
- 2001-2007: Capuchin Fraternity; Agat, Guam
- 2007-2016: St. Fidelis Friary; Agana Heights, Guam
In a letter dated February 2008 to the Capuchins New York provincialate, a man accused Nowak of abusing him from 1961 to 1966 while he was a student at St. Mary’s Seminary in Glenclyffe, New York. After a talk with his provincial, Nowak e-mailed and called the man with an apology.
The man disclosed the abuse to Fr. Regis Armstrong in the mid-1970s, but believed nothing was done. Fr. Armstrong stated that he had no recollection of the disclosure.
Nowak’s faculties to engage in public ministry were permanently removed in 2004.
Note: Years in parentheses indicate editions of the Official Catholic Directory. Because of the publication schedule of the Directory, a priest listed at a parish in a given year was also likely at that parish for part of the previous year.