Diocese: Archdiocese of New York
Summary of Assignments:
- 1957: Ordained
- 1957-1964: St. Margaret’s; Pearl River, NY
- 1964-1968: St. John Vianney; Bronx, NY
- 1968-1979: St. Ann’s; Nyack, NY
- 1979-1985: St. Patrick’s; Newburgh, NY
- 1979-1985: Our Lady of the Lake; Orange Lake, NY
- This was a mission of St. Patrick’s
- 1985-1987: St. Ann’s; Nyack, NY
In a February 2004 lawsuit, a man accused Whalen of sexually abusing him as a boy from 1964 to 1965, when he was ages 11 to 12. The alleged abuse occurred in the rectory of St. John Vianney, in a beach cabana, and during overnight trips to the Rockaways. The suit misspells the priest’s name as “Whalen.” Whelan reportedly died in 1988.
Note: Years listed indicate editions of the Official Catholic Directory. Because of the publication schedule of the Directory, a priest listed at a parish in a given year was also likely at that parish for part of the previous year.