Diocese: Archdiocese of New York, Diocese of Steubenville
Summary of Assignments:
- 1987-1988: St. Agnes; Mingo Junction, OH
- 1988-1989: St. Benedict; Cambridge, OH
- 1989-1991: St. Christopher; Baldwin, NY
- 1991-1995: St. Joseph / Absent on Leave; Ronkonkoma, NY
- 1995-1998: SS Simon and Jude’s; Brooklyn, NY
- 1998-2003: St. Anthony; Nanuet, NY
- 2003-2004: St. James the Apostle; Carmel, NY
- 2004-2006: St. Patrick; Staten Island, NY
- 2007-2008: Not listed in the 2007 and 2008 Directories
- 2009-2011: Cathedral of St. Patrick; New York City, NY
- 2012: Not listed in the 2012 Directory
- 2012-2016: On leave of Absence
Pliauplis began as a religious order brother in Steubenville, Ohio, but left for 3 years to become a registered nurse. In 1987, he was ordained as a priest in the Diocese of Steubenville. In 1991, he was reportedly transferred to the Rockville Centre Diocese when his mother became ill.
Pliauplis was accused of inappropriately touching a 17-year-old male high school student on January 18, 2006 at St. Patrick’s. The high school student taught religious education classes at St. Patrick’s and Pliauplis was the religious education director. As they passed each other in a school hallway, Pliauplis grabbed the teen’s genitals. Pliauplis denied the allegations.
In March 2006, he was removed from the parish and suspended from ministry. At the recommendation of the Archdiocesan Review Board, Pliauplis was permanently removed from ministry in June 2006.
Pliauplis appealed successfully to Vatican and he was allowed to return to ministry in 2008. He was assigned to St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York, where he assisted until 2011. He has been “On Leave of Absence” since 2012.
Note: Years listed indicate editions of the Official Catholic Directory. Because of the publication schedule of the Directory, a priest listed at a parish in a given year was also likely at that parish for part of the previous year.