Diocese: Archdiocese of New York
Summary of Assignments:
- 1963: Ordained
- 1965-1966: Sacred Heart; Bronx, NY
- 1967: In Residence at Holy Innocents; New York City, NY
- 1968-1971: In Residence at Woodstock Jesuit Community
- 1972-1984: Cathedral Preparatory Seminary; New York City, NY
- 1972-1976: Dean
- 1977: Vice-Rector
- 1975-1984: Rector
- 1972-1984: In Residence at Bishop Ford Residence; New York City, NY
- 1985-1988: On duty outside the Archdiocese, National Catholic Educational Association; Washington, DC
- 1989-2002: Pastor at St. Raymond’s; Bronx, NY
- 1996-2003: Executive Vice-President at Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation, Inc.
- 1999-2002: Partnership for Quality Education, Inc.
- 1995-2002: Archdiocesan Office of Development
- 1995-1996: Executive Director
- 1995-2002: Vicar
- 1998: Episcopal Vicar of the Archdiocese; Bronx–East, NY
- 1999-2000: Regional Vicar of the Archdiocese; Bronx–East, NY
- 2001: Regional Coordinator of the Archdiocese; Bronx–East, NY
Notes: Kavanagh was removed and placed on leave in 2002, after being publicly accused of sexual abuse of a 14-year-old male student from 1977 to 1985. At the time of the alleged abuse, Kavanagh was the rector of Cathedral Preparatory Seminary. Kavanagh denied the allegations.
The Vatican ordered a canonical trial, which began in 2006 and found Kavanagh guilty of sex abuse. At Kavanagh’s request, the decision was reviewed by a church appellate court and the decision was upheld in 2010. His laicization was announced in 2010.
In March 2011, Kavanagh filed suit against his accuser, resulting in a settlement and a signed statement changing part of the accuser’s prior testimony. In September 2012, Kavanagh sued the Archdiocese of New York for libel. In February 2014, the libel case against the Archdiocese was dismissed. In September 2014, the Court of Appeals affirmed the decision of the district court.
As of 2014, Kavanagh was a resident of Florida.
Sources: St Cloud Times 06.06.11; BehindThePineCurtin 06.07.11; John Doe 174 v Order of St Benedict et al, Case No 11-CV-1489DWF, US District Court for State of Minnesota 06.07.11; Minnesota Public Radio 06.07.11; SNAP Statement 06.07.11; St Cloud Times 06.07.11; Star Tribune 06.07.11; Star Tribune 06.07.11; The Republic 06.07.11; Wall Street Journal 06.07.11; St Cloud Times 06.08.11; St Cloud Times 06.10.11; Statement by Abbot John of St John’s Abbey 06.10.11; St John’s Abbey Statement 06.27.11; Kavanagh v. Zwilling 02.14.14; Kavanagh v. Zwilling 9.17.14 via Court Listener; http://bishop-accountability.org/member/psearch.jsp; BA.org Summary of Directory Entries
Note: Years in parentheses indicate editions of the Official Catholic Directory. Because of the publication schedule of the Directory, a priest listed at a parish in a given year was also likely at that parish for part of the previous year.