Diocese: Archdiocese of New York
Summary of Assignments:
- 1967: Ordained
- 1968: St. Mary’s, Fishkill
- 1969-1975: St. Raymond’s, Bronx
- 1976: Extra archdiocesan assignment
- 1977-1978: Our Lady of Fatima, Scarsdale
- 1979: Extra archdiocesan assignment
- 1980-1985: St. Margaret’s of Cortona, Manhattan
- 1986-1994: Holy Cross, Manhattan
- 1995: Not indexed in the Directory
- 1997-2001: Absent on leave
- 2002-2003: Not indexed in the Directory
In 1991, Rev. John Bambrick told the Archdiocese of New York that Eremito had sexually abused him in 1980, while he was a 15-yr-old altar boy at St. Joseph’s Church in Keyport, New Jersey. Eremito may have had “dozens” of victims. He was removed from active assignments in 1992. Eremito reportedly worked at a church in Westchester County and at St. Agnes in Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey in the late 1990s. Eremito was allowed to work in Lubbock, TX as a hospital chaplain from 1998 to 2002. He worked as grief counselor at a Pennsylvania hospice until he was dismissed in 2006.
Sources: http://bishop-accountability.org/; Chicago Tribune 06.03.02;Dallas Morning News 06.12.02; USCCB Meeting Partial Transcript 06.12.02;NY Post 06.14.02;Newsday 06.17.02; NY Times 07.07.02; Asbury Park Press 07.15.02;Newsday 07.18.02; Asbury Park Press 09.21.02; New York Times 10.04.02; USA Today 11.11.02; Asbury Park Press 03.16.03;Yahoo! News 01.04.06;KAMC28.com 01.05.06;Philadelphia Inquirer 01.05.06; Asbury Park Press 05.11.08; BA.org Summary of Directory Entries
Note: Years listed indicate editions of the Official Catholic Directory. Because of the publication schedule of the Directory, a priest listed at a parish in a given year was also likely at that parish for part of the previous year.