Diocese: Archdiocese of New York
Religious Order: Congregation of Christian Brothers (CFC)
Summary of Assignments:
- July 5, 1962: Entered the Congregation of Christian Brothers
- June 27, 1969: Pronounced his final vows
- 1973-1977: Blessed Sacrament High School
- 1994-1998: Blessed Sacrament High School (In Residence)
- 2005: St. Joseph’s Residence
- 2011: Co-Leader of annual Edmund Rice Youth Camp at Brother Rice High School
Br. McGovern died on October 12, 2016. According to his obituary, McGovern worked at:
- All Hallows High School
- Blessed Sacrament High School
- St. John’s Indian Mission
- Essex Catholic High School School
- St. Mary’s Parish, Louisiana
- Our Lady of Assumption Parish, Bronx
- Holy Child School, Mississippi.
- St. Joseph’s Residence
- Director of Pastoral Care
His most recent assignments brought him to Chicago, where he died.
In an unrelated 2005 lawsuit, McGovern was named as the alleged abuser of teenage boy in New Jersey. In October 2009, Plaintiff’s appeal was dismissed by the NY Supreme Court.
Sources: Supreme Court of the State of New York, County of New York, No. 07-102959; US District Court, Southern District New York, No. 05-CV-10467; Hoatson v. New York Archdiocese, NY Supreme Court Decision 102958/07 10.26.09; http://bishop-accountability.org/