Diocese: Diocese of Rochester
Summary of Assignments:
- 1960-1962: Most Holy Redeemer; Rochester, NY
- 1963-1966: St. Mary’s; Corning, NY
- 1967: St. Mary of the Lake Church; Watkins Glen, NY
- 1968: Galilee House; Cayuga, NY
- 1969: Leave of Absence; Diocese of Rochester
- 1971: Left priesthood and married
Gormley admitted to molesting one youth in 1966 and other boys in the 1950s and 1960s. He took a leave of absence in 1969 and left priesthood 2 years later. Problems were known prior to ordination and he was in therapy for 30 yrs. In 1993 he apologized to 1966 victim after chance encounter. This man filed civil suit in 1993 and later settled for $70K.
Note: Years listed indicate editions of the Official Catholic Directory. Because of the publication schedule of the Directory, a priest listed at a parish in a given year was also likely at that parish for part of the previous year.