Religious Order: Servites
Diocese: Diocese of Metuchen
Summary of Assignments:
- 1976: Ordained
- 1976-1979: St. Joseph’s; Carteret, NJ, Diocese of Trenton
- 1980: Not listed in Official Catholic Directory for 1980.
- 1980-1982: Divine Word College; Washington, D.C.
- 1982-1993: St. Philip Priory; Chicago, IL, Archdiocese of Chicago
- 1982-1991: Prior
- 1991-1993: Director of Students
- 1985-1987: Servite Provincial Residence; Berwyn, IL
- 1987-1995: Chicago Theological Union; Chicago, IL
- 1993-1994: Assumption Priory; Chicago, IL
- 1993-1994: Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (In Residence); Chicago, IL
- 1993-1995: Servite Friars – Eastern Province, Provincial Center; Chicago, IL
- 1994-1996: Monastery of Our Lady of Sorrows; Chicago, IL
- 1996-1997: Zululand; South Africa
- 1997-2002: St. Paul University – Canon Law Professor; Ottawa, Canada
- 2003-2005; Not listed in Official Catholic Directories for 2003-2005.
- 2009-2018: St. Paul University – Canon Law Professor; Ottawa, Canada
Accused in 1994 of abuse in 1970s of a 15-year-old boy in New Jersey. Admitted the abuse. A second victim came forward. Forced to step down as head of the Chicago-based Servites. Went to Africa for a few years. Hired 1997 by St. Paul University in Ottawa, ON, Canada. By 2002 he was still a priest and professor and vice dean of canon law at St. Paul’s. St. Paul’s said he took “medical leave for the treatment of severe depression” in 8/02 after allegation surfaced. Ottawa archbishop said Huels was leaving Servites and would seek laicization. In 9/18 he was still professor of canon law at Saint Paul’s. He was removed from that position after publicity the same month.
Impact Statement of Michael Bland 06.13.02; Chicago Tribune 08.07.02; Washington Post 08.07.02; Commercial Appeal (TN) 11.12.02; Grand Rapid Press 12.14.02; LifeSiteNews 09.09.05; National Catholic Reporter 09.12.18; National Catholic Reporter 09.21.18; http://bishop-accountability.org/; BA.org Assignment Record