Diocese: Diocese of Brooklyn
Summary of Assignments:
- Student at St. Patrick’s School; L.I.C., NY
- Student at Power Memorial High School; Manhattan, NY
- Student at St. Francis College; Brooklyn Heights, NY
- Student at Immaculate Conception Seminary; Huntington, NY
- May 31, 1958: Ordained
- 1958-1960: Parochial Vicar at Saint Finbar; Brooklyn
- 1960-1961: Student at Catholic University of America
- Masters Degree in Educational Psychology
- 1961-1971: Assistant Superintendent of Diocesan Superintendent of Schools Office
- 1962-1966: Founded Brooklyn Diocesan Television Network
- 1969: Appointed President of Catholic Television Network
- 1971-1978: Secretary of Education
- 1973: Doctorate in History and Philosophy of Education; Fordham University, NY
- 1978-2007: Director of Pastoral Communications Office
- 2007: Retired
- 2007+: Executive Director of Trans Video Communications
Monsignor. Dempsey resided at Our Lady Queen of Martyrs from 1961 to 2010.
The Diocese placed Dempsey on administrative leave in 2010, after the Department of Homeland Security investigated him for violating Internet child pornography laws. At the time, Dempsey was the Director of Pastoral Communications at Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Church in Forest Hills.
The federal government declined to bring charges. In April 2011, the Diocese appealed to the Vatican, asking for a decision on Dempsey. The Congregation for Doctrine of Faith advised Bishop DiMarzio to restore Dempsey as a senior priest and grant him faculties to resume limited ministry.
Dempsey died on Friday, March 10, 2017.
Sources: Your NABE 2.4.10; NY 1 01.26.10; Statement by Diocese of Brooklyn 01.26.10; WABC 01.27.10; NY Daily News 01.28.10; NY Post 01.28.10; Your NABE 02.17.11; Your NABE 04.21.11; The Tablet 5.15.17; http://bishop-accountability.org/