Diocese: Diocese of Brooklyn
Summary of Assignments:
- 1935-1938: St. Peter Claver; Brooklyn, NY
- 1939-1947: St. Anthony; Oceanside, NY
- 1948-1949: Our Lady of Mt. Carmel; Patchogue, NY
- 1950-1958: St. Mary Magdalene; Springfield Gardens, NY
- 1959-1964: Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary; Brooklyn, NY
- 1965-1966: Absent on Leave
- 1967-1968: Servants of the Holy Paraclete; Halltown, MO
- 1969: Our Lady of Hope; Middle Village, NY
- 1970-1983: St. Malachy’s; Brooklyn, NY
McElroy was named in an October 2003 civil suit, in which 27 survivors alleged abuse by 24 priests. One man alleged that McElroy abused him at St. Mary Magdalene between 1954 and 1955, when he was 11 to 12 years old. The lawsuit alleged that McElroy was the coach of the basketball team and that some of the abuse occurred on sports trips.
McElroy retired in 1984. His whereabouts are presently unknown.
In October 2017, at least one victim of McElroy reached a settlement with the Archdiocese of New York and Brooklyn.