Diocese: Diocese of Brooklyn
Summary of Assignments:
- 1976-1978 — St. Leonard of Port Maurice
- 1979-1980 — St. Joseph Patron of the Universal Church
- 1979-1980 — St. Michael’s
- 1980-1983 — Our Lady of Lourdes
- 1984 — Released from Diocesan Assignment
- 1985-1995 — Most Precious Blood; Long Island City, NY
- 1997-2000 — Our Lady of Lourdes; Bushwick, NY
- Unknown — Fourteen Holy Martyrs
A fellow priest warned church officials in the 1990s that Capellupo held parties for teenage boys in the rectory at Most Precious Blood. A second colleague had also complained to the diocese about Capellupo in the 1980s, regarding his concerns that Capellupo was having children stay in his room overnight. According to the two priests, the diocese did not take action after their complaints and Capellupo was allowed to continue working with children for many years.
In 2000, Capellupo was arrested on sexual abuse allegations involving a 14-year-old boy. Capellupo denied the allegations. The charges were later dropped and the case was sealed. Capellupo was placed on leave after his arrest and remained so.
In June 2005, the Diocese found credible allegations that Capellupo had sexually abused a minor while he was a vicar at Most Precious Blood.
In March 2010, Capellupo reportedly appeared in a one-day canonical trial after a man accused him of sexually abusing him as a boy at Most Precious Blood for two years, beginning in 1985 when he was 14-years-old. After two years, the man alleged that Capellupo replaced him with a younger boy.