Diocese: Archdiocese of Newark
Summary of Assignments:
- 1966-1967: Blessed Sacrament; Franklin Lakes, NJ
- 1967-1969: St. Patrick’s Pro-Cathedral; Newark, NJ
- 1969-1972: St. Rocco’s (Italian); Newark, NJ
- 1972-1977: St. Ann’s; Newark, NJ
- 1977-1997: St. Rocco’s; Newark, NJ
- 1997-2004: St. Peter Claver’s; Montclair, NJ
- 2004-2005: Not listed in the Official Catholic Directory for 2005.
- 2005-2008: Retired; Caldwell, NJ
Died 10/09/08. A $75K settlement involving claims against Nickas announced 5/15/13. Accused of sex abuse of a boy on several occasions 1970-72, at St. Rocco’s in Newark. Also accused of giving the boy alcohol. A second man alleged that he was molested as a child while staying at a Newark homeless shelter founded by Nickas. The diocesan review board deemed both allegations not credible. After the first settlement, attorney asked that this man’s claims be re-investigated. On archdiocese’s list 2/13/19. Multiple alleged victims noted.
FindAGrave 10.09.08; Star-Ledger 10.18.08; Star-Ledger 05.15.13; The Record 05.16.13; SNAP Statement 09.06.13; Archdiocese of Newark List 02.13.19; Archdiocese of Newark Tobin Letter 02.13.19; BA.org Assignment Record; http://bishop-accountability.org