Diocese: Archdiocese of New York
Summary of Assignments:
- Ordained – St. Joseph’s Seminary, Yonkers, NY; 1966
- Cardinal Hayes High School, Bronx, NY; 1966-75
- Moore Catholic High School, Staten Island, NY; 1975-79; this assignment was cited in news reports but not in Directory, which cites Pipala as living at Cardinal Hayes during these years
- St. Margaret Mary, NYC (In residence 1977)
- St. Joseph’s, Croton Falls (1977-81)
- Sacred Heart, Monroe (1981-88)
- St. John’s, Goshen (1989-92, pastor)
- Absent on leave (1993-2001)
Note: Years in parentheses indicate editions of the Official Catholic Directory. Because of the publication schedule of the Directory, a priest listed at a parish in a given year was also likely at that parish for part of the previous year.
Notes: Archdiocese learned of abuse in 1977, sent Pipela for treatment and then reassigned him. Removed from assignment 1992; convicted 1993 of Sodomy. Served 7 years in prison on state and federal charges. Released July, 2000. Numerous victims over a 20 year span. Named in several civil suits. Laicized 2000. On NY sex offender registry as of 9/09.
Sources: NY Daily News 4.16.02 (in collection of articles); Times Herald-Record 04.21.02; Dallas Morning News 06.12.02; Buffalo News 06.13.02; USA Today 11.11.02; Times Herald-Record 10.07.12; http://bishop-accountability.org/