Address: 333 Washington Avenue N. #341 Minneapolis 55401
Tel: (612) 349-2735
SPECIAL INVESTIGATION: Fr. Romano Ferraro
By Attorney Patrick Noaker
(Minneapolis – November 17, 2017) On Friday, the Diocese of Brooklyn named eight priests against whom they had received credible allegations of child sexual abuse. Fr. Romano Ferraro is one of those priests. I represented two boys in St. Louis, Missouri who were sexually abused by Fr. Ferraro. The investigation in those cases was just the tip of the iceberg when it came to Fr. Ferraro’s sexually abusive career. During his career, Fr. Ferraro sexually abused children in four different Catholic Dioceses: Diocese of Brooklyn, Diocese of Rockville Centre, Archdiocese of New York and the Archdiocese of St. Louis. Above are three parts of a video revealing documents that describe Fr. Ferraro’s sexual abuse from 1958 through 1982 and the red flags that should have been heeded.
ACTIVISTS WANT PRIEST ACCUSED OF SEX ABUSE REMOVED FROM CHURCH
Manhattan priest still on the job despite allegations of sexual abuse from two former altar boys
A Manhattan parish priest remains on the job despite allegations from two former altar boys that he sexually abused the pair, an attorney charged Thursday.
The Rev. Lawrence Quinn targeted the boys in two separate incidents while in a Bronx parish, Our Lady of Mercy, where he spent nearly two decades, according to lawyer Patrick Noaker. Read More.
Jimmy Halpin grew up an ace student who was so devoted to his Catholic faith that he slept on the floor the night before exams. “So Jesus could sleep in the bed,” said Halpin, who attended the St. Raymond’s Boys School in the Bronx.
At the age of 15, the Rev. Joseph Theisen entered Halpin’s life. It was summertime in the early 1980s and Theisen quickly took a liking to young Jimmy. After that, Halpin’s slide into tragedy did not take long.
* * *
Now 23 years sober and the father of two daughters, he said he felt emboldened after reading an article documenting other reports of abuse against Theisen, who has since died. “It validated what I thought I made up,” said Halpin, who was represented by lawyer Patrick Noaker from the group Lawyers Helping Survivors of Child Sex Abuse.
Sexual Abuse Survivor Community Mourns Passing of Barbara Blaine
(September 26, 2017) It is with heavy hearts that we mourn the passing of Barbara Blaine. There is a Quaker saying “let your life speak.” Barbara Blaine’s life spoke. She often encouraged me and thousands of others to live a life with purpose. RIP Barbara. We miss you.
Three New Sexual Abuse Lawsuits in the Mormon Indian Placement Program
(Phoenix, AZ – August 15, 2017) Three separate lawsuits have been filed (two, by enrolled members of the Navajo Nation and the third by a member of the Crow Reservation) against The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, commonly known as the “Mormon” or “LDS” Church, and against LDS Family Services. These three lawsuits follow five other lawsuits filed by adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse within the controversial Mormon “Lamanite (or Indian) Placement Program.” Read more.
New Mexico Boy Scouts’ Troubling History Of Pedophile Scout Leaders
(Minneapolis, MN August 8, 2017) A quick glance through the LA Time’s Perversion Files reveals a troubling pattern occurring in New Mexico’s Boy Scouts: Pedophile Scout Leaders. These Perversion Files document three decades of sexual abuse of New Mexico Boy Scouts by men who were supposed to protect and mentor them. Read More
New Mexico Boy Scout Officials Put Youths At Risk By Failing To Report Sex Abuser to Police
New Mexico’s Troop 287 and the Boy Scouts of America could be held responsible for the actions of an alleged child molester who they allowed to quietly leave their organization without notifying local police.
Jerry Tully (sometimes spelled Tulley) was undesirably discharged from the United States army, where he had been positioned at the Sandia Base in Albuquerque, New Mexico, sometime during 1963. The reason given for Tully’s dishonorable discharge: “committing an immoral sex act on another person, a Boy Scout.” At the time, Tully was a registered Scout Master for Troop 287, which falls under the Kit Carson Council in New Mexico. Read More.
Former Boy Scout Seeks Punitive Damages Against Boy Scouts
(Minneapolis, MN July 26, 2017) Today, former Boy Scout, Steven Parker, filed a request with the Ramsey County District Court, asking the Court to allow him to seek punitive damages against both the Boy Scouts of America and the Northern Star Council because they concealed information involving thousands of sexually abusive Boy Scout Leaders.
“It seems that the Boy Scouts cared more about registration fees and uniforms sales than the safety of the Scouts themselves,” stated the Plaintiff Steven Parker. “I was especially vulnerable because I came from a single-parent home with no father to protect me. I sure do wish that the Boy Scouts would have chosen to protect me instead of protecting their reputation and money. My life would be very different today if the BSA had done the right thing back in 1967” claims Parker. Read More
Attorney Jessica Arbour Joins Noaker Law Firm Litigation Team
(Minneapolis, MN July 26, 2017) The Noaker Law Firm is excited to announce that attorney Jessica Arbour has joined its litigation team. We are excited to have Jessica working with our firm in order to continue the very important work representing survivors of sexual abuse. Jessica has worked in this area for a number of years and we are very excited about her intellect, energy and enthusiasm. Read more about Jessica Arbour.
Man sues Boston archdiocese citing sex abuse at orphanage
Associated Press – July 17, 2017 appearing in the New York Daily News
BOSTON (AP) — A New York man is suing the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston for sexual abuse he says he suffered decades ago at a church-affiliated home for orphaned and foster children.
Andre Jones, who’s 51, said Monday that he was abused in the 1970s by the late Brother Edward Anthony Holmes, a supervisor and counselor at the now-shuttered Nazareth Child Care Center.
Holmes pleaded guilty to sexual abuse of children and other charges in 2006. He was sentenced to five years in prison and died in 2011, said one of Jones’ lawyers, Patrick Noaker.
The Archdiocese of Boston, the fourth-largest archdiocese in the country, declined to comment on the lawsuit. Read More.
Victim of Serial Pedophile Files Lawsuit Against Boston Archdiocese
Survivor Was Repeatedly Abused by Brother Tony Holmes While Living at the Nazareth Child Care Center in Jamaica Plain
BOSTON (July 17, 2017) — AJ, a survivor of child sex abuse who lives in New York City, today filed a lawsuit against the Archdiocese of Boston for abuse he suffered while living at the Archdiocese’s Nazareth Child Care Center in Jamaica Plain. The lawsuit outlines sexual abuse allegations against Brother Edward Anthony “Tony” Holmes, a now-convicted pedophile who worked at Nazareth and who preyed on at least two other children there. The lawsuit was filed in Suffolk County Superior Court by attorneys from Lawyers Helping Survivors of Child Sex Abuse.
“It’s very difficult for me to talk or even think about what happened at Nazareth, but I’ve decided to come forward to give hope to other victims and let them know that they are not alone,” said AJ. “Nothing will eliminate the pain and suffering that I experienced while at Nazareth, but this should send a message that pedophiles and those who supported them will be held accountable, no matter when the abuse occurred.”
Manhattan Council Of Boy Scouts Has Protected Alleged Child Molesters For Decades
By: Tyler Aliperto
The Manhattan Council of Boy Scouts have spent decades protecting scout leaders accused of child molestation.
A quick run-through of the LA Time’s Perversion Files reveals at least six men who were either accused of, or admitted to, child molestation and were never reported to authorities by the Manhattan Council.
Edward Rodriguez, Edward Bains, William (Bill) O’Rourke, Robert D’Amore, Daniel Aviles, and Alexander Warwick all either admitted to or were accused of heinous sexual acts with underage scouts. After the alleged abuse was brought to the attention of the Manhattan Council, each of these men were placed in a “confidential file” in the Boy Scouts of America’s database and were allowed to move on in their life without any police action.
Former ‘maiden sues cult leaders
Victor Barnard Sexual Abuse Victim Sues Barnard, Cult and Cult Leaders
Cult Appears to Have Left Minnesota and Reorganized in Spokane, Washington
(Minneapolis, MN – January 25, 2017) One of the victims of sexual assault by River Road Fellowship Cult leader Victor Barnard has filed a civil lawsuit against Barnard, the cult and other cult leaders alleging they were complicit in the operation of the cult that maintained a household of 12 to 18 year-old “maidens” who were required to have sex with Barnard as part of the religion.
Former Fayetteville AAU Basketball Coach Indicted On More Than 70 Sex Abuse Charges
By: Tyler Aliperto
Rodney Scott, an ex-AAU basketball coach and former assistant basketball coach at Pine Forest High School, has now been indicted on more than 70 charges of sexual abuse by a Cumberland County grand jury relating to abuse occurring between the years 2001-2016.
Scott, also a former substitute teacher, has recently been charged with 2 additional felony charges of indecent liberties with a child. His bond has been raised to more than $17.7 million.
Seven victims have now come forward with their accusations of sexual abuse by Scott, all of which occurred while the boys were still teenagers playing for Scott’s AAU team, the North Carolina Force. Scott also served as an area representative for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes in Fayetteville. Read More.
As Boy Scout Leader and AAU Swim Coach, David J. Beardsley’s Sexual Abuse of Children Spans Across St. Paul Youth Organizations
Attorney Calls for Youth-Serving Organizations to Share Information
Witnesses Are Encouraged to Contact Investigator
According to a letter from parents of a Boy Scout in St. Paul Troop 66 dated July 12, 1972, Assistant Scout Leader David Beardsley sexually assaulted their son multiple times while on a camp-out at Tomahawk Scout Camp. [Click Here to View BSA File and Letter] As a result of the report, the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) terminated Beardsley as a Scout Leader. Shortly after being terminated from the Scouts, David Beardsley infiltrated AAU
Youth Swimming where he sexually abused at least two young AAU swimmers, while they participated in AAU events. Read Full Article.
If you have any information about David J. Beardsley or the Roseville Stingrays Swimming Club please contact Investigator William Haider (612) 244-8356 or Bill@noakerlaw.com or Attorney Patrick Noaker (612) 349-2735 or Patrick@noakerlaw.com.
Noaker Law Firm Seeking Witnesses With Information About BSA Usher Program and Don Anderberg
(Minneapolis, MN 12-9-2016) The Noaker Law Firm is seeking witnesses with information about the Boy Scout Usher program at the University of Minnesota’s Williams Arena and Don Anderberg. The Usher program was run by Scout Leader Don Anderberg from the 1960’s through the 1980’s. Anderberg was also the Boy Scout Leader for Troop 208 that met at Oak Knoll Lutheran Church in Minnetonka, Minnesota, as well as the boy’s basketball coach at the church. In 1984, Anderberg was convicted of sexually abusing a Scout while the Scout was participating in the Usher program. Anderberg also admitted to law enforcement that he had a problem with sex with boys. Read More.
Ex-Brooklyn priest who pleaded guilty of child sex abuse in 2008 is eligible for parole, but critics want him to serve full 18-year prison sentence
Michael O’Keeffe, New York Daily News, October 25, 2016
A former Catholic priest from Brooklyn who pleaded guilty in 2008 to sexually abusing an 8-year-old boy is up for parole — but a relative of the victim and an abuse survivors’ organization say he should remain in prison.
Steven Wolpert, who served as a priest at Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Brooklyn during the 1980s, pleaded guilty in 2008 to involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with a child under the age of 13, a first-degree felony. Read More.
Why Several Native Americans Are Suing the Mormon Church
Participants in the Church-sponsored Indian Student Placement Program have filed at least three sexual-abuse lawsuits.
Lily Fowler, Atlantic Magazine, October 23, 2016
Native Americans who were part of a little-known Mormon program from 1947 to the mid-1990s share much of the same story. Year after year, missionaries or other members of the Church of Jesus-Christ of Latter-day Saints approached these families and invited their children into Mormon foster homes. As part of the Mormon Indian Student Placement Program, Native American children would live with Mormon families during the school year, an experience designed to “provide educational, spiritual, social, and cultural opportunities in non-Indian community life,” according to the Church. Typically, the Mormon foster families were white and financially stable. Native American children who weren’t already Mormon were baptized. And some of them now claim they were sexually abused.
“They knew there were things going on. They just turned around and closed their eyes to it,” said BN, a former participant of the program who has filed a sexual-abuse lawsuit against the LDS Church, and who remains anonymous in court documents, in an interview. So far, three sexual-abuse lawsuits involving four past participants have been filed in Navajo Nation District Court. No criminal charges have been brought against the defendants, who are also anonymous in all pleadings. The alleged victims include a brother and sister who were both in the program. The brother, referred to in court documents as RJ, claims in the lawsuit that he was not only sexually abused, but physically and emotionally abused, and forcibly had “his mouth washed out with soap whenever he spoke Navajo to the other placement children in the home,” according to court documents. A fourth lawsuit is pending, according to their lawyer, Craig Vernon. Read More.
New York City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito reveals she was sexually abused
New York Daily News, October 12, 2016
City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito took to Twitter Wednesday to announce she is a sex abuse survivor — and said the furor around Donald Trump’s campaign had set her off. One in 5 girls are victims of sex abuse — and she was among them, Mark-Viverito said. “I’m that 1/5,” she wrote. “Trump’s misogyny & sexual violence has re-opened wounds I’ve tried to heal.” Read More.
Noaker Law Firm Unveils New Jersey Boy Scout Sexual Abuse Page
(October 12, 2016, Minneapolis) Today, attorney Patrick Noaker announced that he has created a page in the Noaker Law Firm website (noakerlaw.com) that is dedicated to identifying Boy Scout Leaders in New Jersey who have been terminated from Scouting because they sexually abused Scouts or other children. This web page will be a one-stop resource for access to all of the public Boy Scouts of America Ineligible Volunteer Perversion files (“I.V. Files). “So often my clients just want to locate information relating to his or her perpetrator. This page provides easy access to that information,” Noaker added.
In addition to the I.V. Files, Noaker writes blogs that compile information from a number of sources about specific perpetrators and regions. The first blog is titled “Sexually Abusive Boy Scout Leaders in Newark, New Jersey” and chronicles the abusive past of a number of Boy Scout Leaders in Newark.
Sexual Abuse Advocates and Attorneys Warn Archdiocese of New York Sexual Abuse Fund May be Bait-and-Switch
(New York, NY – Friday, October 7, 2016) At a press conference in front of St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City, Sexual Abuse attorneys along with survivors of sexual abuse warned that Cardinal Timothy Dolan’s recently proposed “Independent Reconciliation and Compensation Program” for those who have survived abuse by priests or deacons of the archdiocese, may be a bait-and-switch that could re-victimize survivors of abuse. Read More.